Sunday, March 13, 2011

Sunday Evening Stuff

Due to excess alcohol consumption, a long lie-in and the need to finish my two articles for http://doctorwhottz.blogspot.com/ I have got a bit behind on the Who watching. The Seeds of Doom is now rescheduled for tomorrow.

It looks like Season 6, Part 1 will begin on Easter Saturday, which is 23rd April but that's not been properly confirmed by anyone yet. I remain undecided about whether I'll review the new stuff as it goes out or not. I think I'll decide nearer the time.

What the impending arrival of the new series does do is lead to an explosion of spoilers, rumours & internet theorising. I try and avoid spoilers as much as possible as I think it makes 'live' watching a bit less fun. With Facebook, Twitter and YouTube alongside the old school press leaks and a Radio Times that has an odd willingness to spoil thoughtlessly this dodging of spoilers is slightly harder than it used to be.

That's not to say I'm not averse to a bit of theorising or wishful thinking myself. I can discuss who River Song might or might not be with the same relish as the next geek but I don't want to find out the truth before I watch the episodes.




Actually I don't mind some spoilers. The general stuff, like "The Zarbi are coming back" is fine but not the more specific twists like "River Song is Kate Bush from a parallel universe", which make watching an episode a bit of a waste of time.

So tell me nothing. Even if I ask.

It has dawned on me that my blog contains tonnes of spoilers if you haven't watched old Doctor Who stories but I'm working on the assumption that it doesn't matter too much if you leak the ending of a Tom Baker story, although I have tried to avoid any sneaky and impressive twists where I can.

So 'Seeds of Doom' tomorrow brings a close to Season 13, which I have to say is battling away with Season 7 as the most consistently good since the series started. Then I'm on to Season 14 and we're in the stories I watched at the time & for which I have something of a soft spot. But then I like 'The Web Planet' and 'The Horns of Nimon' so my taste has been questioned.



No comments:

Post a Comment